Hunting knives have been around since the beginning of time. In ancient times, it was impossible to survive without it. It was literally the main tool that one needed in order to nourish their families. When it comes to hunting the one thing that is certain, is that you must have the right equipment to complete the task. Although the equipment needed does vary according to the type of hunting that you are doing and what you are hunting, one thing that is non-negotiable is that you must have the correct knife to fit the task in which you are doing.
It is impossible to fully enjoy the sport of hunting without having a quality hunting knife. Modern hunting knives come in many shapes, materials, and lengths. Knowing which knife to get can be a bit confusing, as different hunting knives serve specific purposes.
|Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade
|OPINEL FOLDING POCKET KNIFE
KA-BAR BECKER BK2
|BUCK KNIVES 0110BRS 110
|420HC Stainless Steel
|3 ¾ inches
|Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife
|High Carbon Stainless Steel
|.Buck Knives 119 Special
|S35VN Stainless Steel
|Benchmade – Hidden Canyon Hunter Knife
|ESEE ESLSP-BRK Laser Strike
|1095 Carbon Steel
|4 7/8 inches
|Ontario 8627 Rat-5 Knife
|1095 Carbon Steel
|Gerber Gator Premium Fixed Blade Knife
|CPM-S30V Premium Steel
1. Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Outdoor Knife (Editor’s Choice)
Since, 1881, Morakniv has been manufacturing high quality knives in Mora, Sweden. This fixed blade knife dons an exceptionally tough, hardened Sandvik 12C27 stainless steel blade that allows razor sharpness and anti-corrosive properties. The handle is equipped with a high-friction grip, which results in heightened safety, and amazing performance. The high-friction grip is great in cold or wet conditions, as it provides a great deal of safety. This knife also comes with a color matching sheath that keeps the knife secure and protected. The sheath also includes a belt clip for convenience, as well as a drain hole.
Best Uses: This knife is best equipped for carving, food preparation, and cutting tinder and wood.
- Stainless Steel blades are resistant towards corrosion.
- The High-Friction grip provides an extra measure of safety, as the knife is less likely to slip through your hands and cause an accident.
- The Stainless-Steel blade stays sharp longer than carbon steel.
- The blade is short, at 4.1 inches. If hunting large game, this blade may not take you to the depth in which you need to go.
- Stainless steel is not as hard as carbon steel. Some find that although doesn’t corrode, it may not stand test of time.
Many of us remember our fathers and grandfathers carrying around a pocket knife as a staple I in their everyday lives. Whether they wanted to peel a piece of fruit at the spur of the moment or use it to open a n envelope. But pocket knives can also be used for hunting as well.
Opinel has kept the same formula in making this knife since the year 1890, because it simply works. Why change something that has stood the test of time? This knife serves as a great addition to the tools of both outdoorsmen and handymen alike.
- Opinel stands behind their product by guaranteeing it under normal use and exchanging it in case of any manufacturing defects.
- The Virobloc safety ring, invented in 1955 by Marcel Opinel not only locks the blade while it is in use, but locks it in place while it is folded as well; this adds a heightened safety value when you choose to add this product to your collection.
- Focuses on sustainability by heating its French factory (in which it is made) with the shavings left over from production
- The small knife is not equipped to handle large tasks. So, in addition to having this knife for hunting, you may need a larger, all inclusive knife to pair with it.
- Carbon Steel, although known for its strength, does rust. It is imperative thar you keep the knife clean and dry as to prevent it from rusting.
3. KA-BAR BECKER BK2 CAMPANION – FIXED BLADE KNIFE
This knife is an all-inclusive tool for your hunting or camping trip. Whether you need to separate the joints on a recent catch, skin some game, or chop up some veggies for dinner; this knife is equipped to handle it all. This Ka-Bar knife comes equipped with a durable, 1095 chromium vanadium (Cro-Van) steel blade, which can serve as a deciding factor when choosing the best hunting knife for your needs due to its versatile abilities.
- This knife is all-inclusive. You do not need to switch up your knives for different needs.
- Heavy Duty yet Lightweight
- Due to the blade measuring in at 5.5, you will likely not experience any problems reaching the depth in which you need.
- Cro-Van does rust if it’s not kept clean and dry
- There are complaints about the knife being dull when the customer receives it, resulting in the customer having to get it sharpened.
- Some customers have resulted to buying a separate sheath as they do not like the glass-filled nylon sheath, comparing it to a hard plastic. There are also reports of the sheath dulling the knife even further, due to the materials that it’s made of.
4. BUCK KNIVES 0110BRS 110 – FAMOUS FOLDING HUNTER KNIFE
Since the year 1902, Buck Knives has offered a lifetime warranty on their knives, which speaks volumes as to the pride, confidence, and integrity that they hold behind their products. The 420HC stainless steel clip point blade has edge retention, superior strength, and corrosion resistance.
The notch on the blade ensures that is easy to open. While the lock back mechanism locks the blade open, for strength and safety while you work. This knife also comes with a high-quality protective sheath, that is made out of leather with a snap fastener.
This made in the U.S.A. knife still holds the reputation of one of the best-selling knives for over 50 years and counting and is known one handing the knife down from generation to generation because it is built to last.
- This is an everyday carry knife. You are not just limited to using this knife for hunting purposes.
- Has a reversible and removable deep carry pocket clip, so that you can be assured that it is secure on your person.
- Buck Knives is known for heat treating their steel, which results in superior corrosion resistance properties and durability.
- Some have reported that this knife is difficult to close, sometimes resulting in sore fingers.
- There are reports that the knife is also extremely hard to open, some even reported having to use pliers.
The Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife is designed to help you endure the toughest conditions that the environment has to offer, through its versatile construction. This is the exact knife that world renowned outdoorsman Bear Grylls, takes with him on his adventures.
On the handle base there is a stainless-steel pommel that can be used for hammering or pounding. This fixed blade knife packs a lot of operation and survival tools within one. The half-serrated blade allows for more versatility while cutting, for example, its ability to effortlessly cut rope.
- Emergency whistle integrated into lanyard cord.
- Land to air rescue instructions.
- Priorities of Survival pocket guide which contains Bear’s survival essentials.
- Ergonomic non-slip rubber grip for comfortable and accurate handling.
- Fire starter rod incorporated within the sheath, which can be lifesaving.
- Diamond blade sharpener
- Not full tang
- Some have reported that the coating wears off fast
- Serration is great for rope, but If it id used in any other fashion, I will be ruined or weakened.
Buck knives most certainly does not compromise when it comes to their quality and craftsmanship. With over 100 years in the business, they take pride in using only premium materials and state of the art technology. As Buck Knives has stated, their products are built to last. This particular knife happens to be one of Buck’s top selling knives.
Buck Knives is infamous for giving their knives a heat treatment, which allows it to be sharp right out of the box, as well as stay sharper throughout the years. Also, its razor-sharp clip point blade results in lasting durability and corrosion resistance, which is great seeing ads though your hunting knife may be exposed to all sorts of elements whether wet or dry.
The knife is best used for:
-Cutting in tight places
- Made in the U.S.A. and has a lifetime guarantee
- 6” clip point blade
- Great for both outdoor, and spear hunting.
- Corrosion resistant
- There have been some reports on the blood groove being unpolished or rough.
- Knife easily gets scratched, showing unwanted blemishes.
Benchmade has been designing and producing some of the best knifes in the world for over 30 years. They are based out of Oregon and pride themselves on providing the finest American-made tools. This knife was specifically built for hunting.
The drop-point with the wide blades makes the process of breaking down your game an easy one. This knife also has a stabilized wood handle, which allows the handler to have ultimate control while prepping their game. This knife is very slim and compact, which makes it ideal for everyday uses such as adding it to your survival kits, EDC collection, tackle box, backpack, and many more.
- Lifetime of free knife sharpening and oil treatment
- Stabilized wooden handle is stronger than natural wood.
- Superior tactical use
- The sheath is very flimsy
- The blade can be difficult to work with due to its small size.
This black textured powder coated knife has a carbon steel blade with a thumb ridge. It also comes with a lifetime warranty and ferro rod and tinder tabs, which is stored inside of the handle. There is a black molded sheath that it comes with, as well as a green lanyard and an ESEE survival card.
These knives are known for being extremely sharp, hence the molded sheath. For this reason, the company stresses that a person under 18 should not be handing it.
- Extra Sharp
- Divot can be used as a socket for the fire bow drill method
- Includes a green lanyard
- There are reports that the black coating will wear off in some areas.
- Grip needs to be more rounded and less square, resulting in more ease while handling.
9. Ontario 8627 Rat-5 Knife (Brown)
This fixed, plain edge knife is constructed from 1095 carbon steel, with canvas textured micarta handles. This is one strong and well-constructed knife! The quality speaks for itself. The Ontario Knife Company is actually a major supplier to the United States Government along with their military.
Ontario Knife Company has built its reputation and loyal following from:
-Quality materials and components
-Steadfast commitment to its workforce
- Steller Construction and Dependability
- Amazing Grip
- Will handle multi-purpose duties
- Thick, Heavy and Sturdy
- Some have reported that the blade had not been fully buffed, stating that there was a coarse grind on the blade.
- While some appreciate a nice, strong, hearty knife, others find it too bulky
10. Gerber Gator Premium Fixed Blade Knife, Drop Point
This knife is a real beauty, that is made to last for generations to come. No matter the conditions that you are in, this knife can stand the test of time. Whether it is dry or pouring rain, any weather condition that you can imagine, the quality will not budge.
Produced in Portland, Oregon, many companies have used the Gator Premium Knives as a blueprint on how to produce their own. Gerber takes pride in their products and one could tell by the intricate and well-thought out construction. Whether it’s the machine polished semi-mirrored blade, or the rubberized grip that prevents chaffing, this knife is a force to be reckoned with.
- Full tang, fixed blade knife with a fine edge premium steel blade for superior edge retention and excellent corrosion resistance.
- The lightly textured, grooved nylon top provides a chafe resistant barrier for your bare hands.
- Rubberized Gator Grip ensures consistent and safe grip in any season
- Extremely Sharp
- Risk of pre-mature
- The sheath that comes with it is on the cheaper side as far as quality is concerned.
HuntingJar.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, and we get a commission on purchases made through our links.